Rice cooked in coconut milk and spices. I generally add coconut milk to my gravy curries to give the rich flavor but this time I tried adding it to the rice. The aroma when the rice was cooking in coconut milk and spices was so nice and tempting and the taste was simply superb. If I have to describe it in my mother tongue, Telugu, I would say " చాలా కమ్మగా ఉన్నింది".
Basmati Rice-1 Cup
Coconut milk-1 Cup
Mint leaves-a few
Ginger-garlic paste-1 tsp
Turmeric powder-1/4 tsp
Black Pepper-1/2 tsp
Cinnamon-1/2 inch stick
Cumin seeds-1/2 tsp
Curry leaves-a few
- Heat oil and ghee and add cloves, cinnamon, cardamom, cumin seeds, bay leaves and curry leaves and fry for few seconds. Now add cashews and fry till they turn golden brown.
- Add chopped onions, chopped green chillies, ginger-garlic paste and turmeric powder and fry till the raw smell of onions and ginger-garlic paste is gone.
- Now add peas and fry for few minutes. Add salt and pepper powder.
- Add this mixture to rice and then add coconut milk and water and mix. Adjust salt and cook in the pressure cooker or rice cooker.
- Serve with any gravy curry and Raita.