Wednesday, May 6, 2015
For seasoning: mustard seeds, cumin seeds,red chillies, channa dal, hing and curry leaves
1. Heat oil and add seasoning stuff. Add ginger, green chillies ,onions and fry. Add turmeric powder.
2. When onions are fried enough, add tomatoes.
3. Add salt and red chilli powder. When the oil seperates mix besan with water and add it to the curry.
4. Add 1 1/2 cup water and bring to boil till raw flavor is lost. Garnish with cilantro.
This goes well poori, chapati and poha dosa
Poha dosa with Tomato chutney
Poha- 1/4 cup
Urad dal- 2tbsp
Methi seeds-1/4 tsp
Buttermilk- 3 cups
1. Soak all the dry ingredients in the buttermilk for 3 to 4 hours and then grind. Let it remain for 4 hours before u make dosa.
2. Before making dosa add a pinch of baking soda to the batter and make dosa as usual.
Red chillies or green chillies
Cumin seeds-1 tsp
1. Grind all the ingredients.
2. Heat oil and do seasoning. Then add the ground chtuney and fry till oil seperates.
Wednesday, March 4, 2015
Potlakaya(snake gourd)- 1 big one, peeled and cut into cubes
Ginger powder-1/4 tsp
Turmeric powder-1/4 tsp
Red chilli powder- 1 tsp
Shredded coconut-2 tbsp
For seasoning: mustard seeds, cumin seeds, red chillies, channa dal, hing and curry leaves.
1. Heat oil and when it is hot add the seasoning ingredients and let them splutter. I like more channa dal in my curry but its up to you how much you add.
2. Now add onions,turmeric and ginger powder and fry for some time.
3. Then add potlakaya pieces and cook with the lid closed. This vegetable cooks very fast.
4. When the potlakaya pieces become soft, add salt, red chill powder and fry. Finally add coconut and cook for 2 minutes and switch off the stove.
Sunday, March 1, 2015
Beerakaya thokku/ ridge gourd peel-1 cup
Green chilies-3 or 4
Pappulu/dhalia- 3 tbsp
Coriander seeds- 2 tbsp
Ginger- garlic paste- 1/2 tsp
1. Wash the peel well in the water.
2. Grind all the ingredients except the peel. Then add the peel and grind it to smooth paste with very little or no water.
3. Heat oil in a pan and fry the paste till it becomes little crunchy. You need to put more oil in this and keep stirring in the middle otherwise it will get burnt.
Condensed milk- 1 can
1. Mix condensed milk and yoghurt in a shallow microwave safe dish and cook for 2 minutes and mix.
2. Heat it in microwave again for 2 more minutes. Now it will be little curdled. Add ghee and cook in microwave for 2 minutes. If you still see water then cook for 1 more minute,
3. Let it cool. Grease your hands with oil and make laddoo or you can just eat it like that.
Got this recipe from yummytummyaarthi.com.
Monday, February 9, 2015
Urad dal- 1/4 cup
Channa dal-1/4 cup
Moong dal-1/4 cup
Toor dal-1/4 cup
Red chillies-2 or 3
Cumin seeds-1/4 cup
Onion- cut into small pieces
- Soak all the dals and rice for 2 to 3 hours and grind then with ginger, red chillies, cumin seeds and salt. No fermentation is needed for this batter. It can be used right away.
- Spread the batter just like dosa and sprinkle onions and cilantro and serve with tomato chutney or ginger chutney.