Pulusu atukulu/Poha Puliyogre is a spicy and tangy dish made by using Poha and pulihora sauce. This is easy to make and can be served as breakfast or as a tea time snack. The tangy flavor from tamarind, spiciness from all the spices and the crunchiness from peanuts makes this dish so yummy to eat. Without further delay let me give you the recipe 😊:
Poha/Atukulu- 2 cups
Tamarind- Big lemon size
Sesame seeds-3 tsp
Coriander seeds-3 tsp
Cumin seeds-1 tsp
Fenugreek seeds- 1 tsp
Turmeric powder-1/2 tsp
For seasoning: Mustard seeds, cumin seeds, red chillies, curry leaves, peanuts and hing.
1. First let us make the sauce:
- Soak tamarind in 2 cups of hot water for 30 mins. Squeeze the juice and strain it to remove extra pulp and seeds and keep it aside.
- Dry roast sesame seeds, coriander seeds, cumin seeds, red chillies and fenugreek seeds seperately and let them cool.
- Once cool, grind them into powder.
- Heat oil and add the ingredients mentioned in the seasoning. Add tamarind paste, salt, turmeric powder, jaggery and boil it for 20 minutes.
- Now add the ground powder and simmer it til the mixture thickens. Let it cool.
- Transfer the sauce into an airtight container.
3. Add the tamarind paste to poha and mix. Adjust salt according to your taste and serve.
- Tamarind sauce can be stored in the fridge for more than a month.
- Same sauce can be mixed with rice to make temple style tamarind rice.
- The sauce tastes better after it sits for at least an hour after the preparation.