Ragi sankati (millet rice)

Ragi or Millet is a staple diet in so many villages in south India. This is very healthy and filling. This grain is so rich in nutritional values  Ragi is rich in Fiber, calcium, protein,iron and other minerals. Ragi helps in cooling the body, improves bone health, controls diabetes, lowers cholestrol levels and also helps in weight loss. My grandma introduced this recipe to me and I have become a fan of this since then. My mom introduced this to my daughter and she loves it too. 

Here goes th recipe...



Ingredients:

Ragi flour- 1 cup

Rice-1 cup
Water- 4 to 5 cups
Salt

Procedure:
  1. Cook rice in the pressure cooker or in a open pot with heavy bottom till rice becomes very soft.
  2. Add ragi flour and cover with the lid without stirring for 10 to 15 mins. You need to cook on low flame.
  3. After 10 to 15 mins using a whisk mix the rice and flour and mash it a little so that there are no lumps. Salt is optional in this. Drizzle some ghee on it and serve.
I love eating this with garlic karam podi. But you can serve it with sambar or any other gravy curry. My grandma used it dip her hands in cold water and take the hot ragi rice in her hand and make balls out of it. 

Recipe for the garlic karam podi:

In a blender grind 2 cloves of garlic,salt, red chilli powder and 5 tsp of coconut powder and you podi will be ready.


Comments